Thursday, May 29, 2008

You are here...

Looking back I realize that we brought our child home to a Sensory Seeker's paradise. At the time Jack came home the 118th Ave extension was being built and all day long they were tamping with those big pile drivers. The entire house jumped everytime they hit the ground. He spent the last months of the pregnancy and the first several months of his life at home bouncing from dawn til dusk. When the pounding ceased he was only happy being bounced by us or happily ensconced in his swing.

He loved to be swaddled, the tighter the better. R was a rockstar swaddler, actually still is. Occasionally he still wraps Jack up tight as he can in Blanket. It is funny to see him with those long, strong legs sticking out at the bottom and only his cowlick visible on top with plaid wool and fringe between. He loves that blanket... but I am getting ahead of myself.

He would lose is mind if he had to be still.... ok now I realize it was the stillness, then I thought how sweet it was that my little angel couldn't stand to be without us. Some part of his anatomy was always moving, usually his fingers. He would do this wiggle thing with them. The alternative to the finger-wiggle was the foot waggle, which I also do (insert nut not falling too far from tree joke here). The wiggle and waggle would eventually evolve into what we affectionately called "flapping and tapping"... more on that later.

Hindsight is so enlightening. Knowing what I know now red lights are going off in my head. As I recount the story I want to scream at the past me to have him evaluated IMMEDIATELY, to save her the pain and tears and battles and ...oh crap, right.... yeah. She knows.

We are "here".

No comments: