Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Jack and I do love a good sunset...

Saturday was a sad and empty day. The poor boy was exhausted but already pining for his friends. We went to Dorian's and were all supposed to go to the beach and watch the sunset. The plans changed to a cookout and then fell apart all together. Jack and I were headed home when I realized he was crying.

"All I wanted was to go to see the sunset Mamma."

We raced out to Indian Rocks Beach - our favorite beach. Quiet and clean, usually not too crowded and then only with locals. We parked at our usual place - not telling - and hit the sand. Jack had a couple of army trucks with him and got busy with one of his most favorite activities. That boy loves to dig and make roads - especially at the beach!

While he created his city I people watched. I also noticed a rather worse for wear egret walking with some irritation up and down at the water. He wanted his dinner and there were too many people around for him to get it! A family nearby had sparklers and yet another with a brand new baby were dipping their toes in the water. The breeze at the beach is always a pleasant bonus, it was a gorgeous peaceful evening.

Jack was getting frustrated because we didn't have his buckets along. He ended up making friends with a small boy of probably three and they dug together. Neither spoke the other's language but still they communicated in the international language of boys, cars and dirt!

We spent a couple of hours out there just being silent and listening to the day say goodnight. I love those moments with my son. Just being there together, each doing our own thing but still together. Life can be so busy and hard sometimes that we forget what is truly important. Thanks Jack, for making me change the plan once again!