Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Wednesday's child...

Became Wednesday's man. More on that later.

I was so excited to spend all day with the kids! Our first stop was the First Aid class. The paramedic handled the pelting of crazy questions the boys threw his way like a champ. He attempted to answer each one, even if they had to do with whether or not Optimus Prime could fit in the back of his ambulance!



I love this picture of Jack and Eaon, they are such good buddies and ended up together the rest of the day. They are so funny together, both are very earnest and very silly all at the same time which makes for some hysterical overheard conversations!

The rest of the day was filled with soccer, pioneer games, swimming and crafts. each event punctuated by water in some shape or form, misters, sprinklers and full on hoses. Let me tell you something, I have found a replacement for nerve gas. There is (so far) NOTHING I have ever smelled that can compare to hot, wet, sweaty, smelly little boy sneakers and feet after a week at scout camp! I am still not sure whether to be amazed or horrified that boys that small can make smells that big!

As if the day wasn't exciting enough, Jack lost another tooth at lunch! The boys were all scrambling around trying to find it! At first I thought, "Oh my gosh, HOW sweet!" Yeah, until I realized that their desperate hunt was based on the design that whomever found it could drill a hole in it and put it on their totem as a bead!!! Gads, those boys are gross LMAO!

The day was almost over and we were headed from the pool to council circle. Most of the den was already in their places but I was lagging behind with another leader, the wagon and two very tired scouts. Suddenly I noticed the temperature drop significantly - as in I felt COLD. In June. In Florida. I looked up and saw all too familiar looking clouds (well familiar to anyone who has ever lived in Oklahoma or seen a tornado show). I sent the other leader and the boys to the Dining Hall and scooted my chubby behind to the council circle to alert the others. Just as I came around the front of the circle the clouds were coming over the tree line at the back of the circle. Angry looking black/green clouds were roiling about in what had minutes before been a beautiful blue sky. Then suddenly the clouds started sucking themselves up inside of themselves and the temp dropped at least another ten degrees.

The Scouts were ordered to get into their dens and head for the Dining Hall. I waited a few seconds to be sure all the wee ones in tot lot had gone with their dens. As I came up over the ridge to head towards the Hall I see Jack's leader in frantic tears. I didn't have to be told. I knew a kid was missing and by the look in her eyes I knew it was mine.

Now, I know Jack. He hadn't run to the lake or into the woods, he was somewhere he felt safe and chances were he had motored it to the Dining Hall. Unfortunately the panic was contagious and this being the first time ever my kid had disappeared... well I didn't cry or freak but I was DANG close. Two other dads and I did a quick scour of the area and then I was commanded to head to the Hall. I obeyed and once I got in there was my child sitting quietly in his seat not possibly the least bit aware of the hysteria building in his honor.

I quietly went to him and asked him where he went. As his story unfolded before me I found myself crying... not because he had scared me, not from relief, but from pure, chest puffing, heart bursting pride.

Apparently when the signal went out for everyone to go to the Dining Hall Jack had obeyed. He was standing in line with his den when he saw one of the wee girls from tot lot standing alone and crying hysterically. "She was getting ready to be exploded by lightning so I took her to find her Mommy." The boy who is afraid of storms went WAY out of his personal comfort zone to help another person. Film at 11, Ticker Tape parade in the morning!!!!

When Packmaster came in I told him Jack was safe and relayed the story. He went to Jack, told him not to move that he would be right back. A couple of minutes later he came back and asked Jack to tell him what happened, which he did. Jack then received about a million beads for his act of courage and gallantry (their word).

Of course the commentary also included, "You did a very very good thing Jack, it was a little crazy but a very good thing. Of course, knowing your Mom the crazy part is to be expected."

Thanks Chris, much love lol















No comments: