Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Time is not on my side....


I didn't know I had so many readers lol. OK so here I am and I keep working but nothing has been achieved today...well except for that chart over there. It started so innocently...

I noticed that Jack had done a less than stellar toothbrushing this morning. We go into the bathroom and I say,

Me: "You know it would be easy to make a little laminated thing to put on the wall to remind you to brush your teeth and turn off the light."

He: "and it can tell me to get dressed and to be good and to put the seat down...."

Me: "Well that would be a huge piece of paper. Let me think about it for a while."

He: "OK I will go watch Animal Planet."

Haven't we discussed that whole letting me think and make decisions thing here before?

Two hours, too much Tazo Awake on ice with tons of lemon (thank YOU very much) and lookie what I did lol. It turned out so great and Jack LOVED it!! He could not wait to start "being organized" LMAO!!! Truth is he couldn't wait to start earning chips!! Whatever gets us through the day right?

So by the time Daddy arrives he has accomplished some of his tasks. We show Daddy the wonder that is the hand painted demand for the child to be responsible and he responds with an acceptable level of awe and respect for my amazing artistic abilities. Red dry marker in hand we approach the chart to mark off what has been accomplished and tally the chips. I checked off the toothbrushing box and learned my first major lesson of the day:

Lesson #1: The ONLY thing that removes dried paint pen is dry erase marker.

CRAP! The men wisely disperse as I try to come up with a solution. I quickly came up with an idea, grabbed the board and ran out into the blinding and still heat of a Florida afternoon armed with clear-coat.

Lesson #2: Just because you are outside does not mean it is "well ventilated".

Lesson #3: Clear-coat on the storm door only looks cool to women. Men don't enjoy the "Monet-like" view of the backyard as much. They have no vision.

An hour later the newly protected chore chart again adorns the refrigerator. There is no one in sight. The men are frightened and hiding on the top bunk in the tent in Jack's room. I am not sure why as I made no sounds and threw no items when we had the first issue. This will work fine and they are missing it. Their loss.

Lesson #4: Clear-coat makes red dry erase marker PERMANENT unless you can SCRAPE it off in time (which I did thanks for asking).

Tomorrow morning I will stop at Staples - LOVE me some Staples - for clear contact paper.

So in recap:

Needed Chore Chart
Thought about writing chart
Realized I would have to laminate chart
Decided to paint chart
Realized I would still have to laminate chart

Thinking is bad for my health and my time management.

The chart IS cute as hell though.

4 comments:

Jo said...

I do love the chart... and if I had an ounce of your artistic ability,I'd make one for B too.

You think... mess up.. figure it out.. and then I'll steal the idea-K? Thanks :)

Love's me some LisaMarie!

Ter said...

It's awesome. You can create a chore chart for me too. :)

(doesn't mean I'll do the chores, but it would look so nice in my house so I can pretend I do chores. ;) )

LM said...

lol, I will do both of you a chart as soon as I get the cash together, that way I can use them as samples on the site!! You both need to let me know what items you want on there. I think I can fit up to1 18!

XOXOX

johnandkristy said...

I don't need a chore chart... well, maybe "I" do... hmmm I'll ask my boss. Maybe he knows if I need one. lol
Actually the paint pen comment reminded?.?.? Did we ever figure out what takes black Sharpie off carpet and walls? I wonder if G-ma & G-pa know? ha ha ha. The look on your face LM was so funny. I know you weren't laughing at the time, but it was funny.

Love you